Friday, February 27, 2009

I am sure there will be countless people who’ll hurl stones at me for saying this but I am loving the weather! Although it should technically be spring it feels like early summer and the first few days of any new season is exciting. Any change of weather is novel for that matter, the air feels different and even light changes its color. I often notice how sunlight changes from one season to another such that the there is something different in the quality of light. May be the summer heat makes air lighter so that things look different or may be it is all in my head. Anyway, to return to what I was saying the weather has been wonderful, the evenings seem magical this time of the year. So I have been haunting the little grassy patch beside the jhil enjoying the evening breeze till the mosquitoes drove me out. And there have been no other side effects to my guilty pleasure apart from a runny nose and severe lack of concentration in face of the enemy (I’m talking about the consecutive tests).

It was on one such wonderful evening this week that I was walking home exasperated at the idea that the road next to the 8B bus stand had not only been turned into auto/cab/rickshaw stand all at once, but it had also become a place to hold political rallies and pandals and that on that particular day the platform erected to celebrate Shiv Ratri was blocking more than half of the road. Whoever cared for normal working individuals who risk hand and foot everyday while trying to cross the road here? Now, I will accept that I am one of those people who are particularly bad at crossing busy roads but on that day I wasn’t so much as trying. I was simply standing on one side watching all the commotion around me when suddenly out of nowhere this auto dashes past and misses me by the fraction of a second during which I had managed to literally jump back. I knew then that this was not the first and most definitely not the last encounter I was going to have with autos. And I was right. I saw an auto overturn today morning. Among the injured was an elderly woman whose leg had been completely squashed. Needless to say I was horrified and especially because I had an exam to write afterwards. A few months earlier my cousin sister had been injured in a similar accident that grounded her for eight weeks. I seriously hope the woman I saw today recovers fast. At this rate I am amazed that we have all not managed to get ourselves run over by now.

7 comments:

Jadis said...

it IS lovely weather. oh and compared to what still is to come, i think we can safely admit this is spring too. ;)

Riya Das said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Riya Das said...

yepp..saw u enter the classroom that day.. u did look horrified !! i have recently taken to following the signals wherever i can find them.. but 8B really is scary .. nothing helps unless you know when to jump back and save your neck...

don't feel the same about the weather though :) but yes, loving the evenings ..so far.. but i kinda miss the chilly winters we used to have.. dunno if its my imagination, but winters aren't that cold in kolkata these days!!

Prospephone said...

We all miss the winters Riya. You know the temperature varies alarmingly between the city and the suburbs. Its freaky!
Priya I am already dreading the summer.

AUROBOROS banerjee said...

summer is like the one massive bummer,
the inebriated drummer,
the traffic - flouting hummer,
.....

all sorts of bad things in a cognizant.

actually, i like summers. its nice once in a while to be reminded of ur corporeality, by the quintessential summer element.

the sweet stench of effort.

Arse Poetica said...

I love the bit about the sunlight...and completely agree...

Prospephone said...

Ahona we still have to decide who is worse at crossing roads. Me or you.
And Arnab, please ektu shoja bhashay jinish potro likhbi?